Emergency lighting is complex. To simplify it all, we dug up a few resources from our archives and sniffed out some of the best tips we could find from emergency lighting experts, creating a useful emergency lighting guide.
Emergency Lighting Rules
There’s plenty of strange language, complex rules and details when it comes to emergency lighting. These resources will help you get a good hold on them.
- A foot candle, what is that? In this overview, we give the basic guidelines your emergency lighting needs to meet.
- What are the codes you need to follow?
Maintaining Your Emergency Lighting Systems
Maintaining an emergency lighting system may seem daunting, but it is a must to avoid liability and meet regulations. Here are a few helpful resources to get you started.
- Is your facility a church, hospital or apartment? This resource breaks down a few helpful tidbits for each type of facility.
- Your emergency lighting needs to undergo regular tests to stay up to code. These emergency lighting testing tips will help you get started.
- The Electrical Construction & Maintenance Magazine put out a robust article on managing emergency lighting systems a number of years back. It covers codes, emergency lighting tests and offers tips on how to maximize your emergency lighting investment.
Getting The Most Out Of Your Batteries
Batteries are expensive. That’s why you need to get the most out of them. Over the past year and a half, we’ve delved into the topic. Here are just a few of the nuggets we found.
- The manufacturer’s estimates for battery longevity often fall short. Here’s why.
- What type of battery do you have? Nickel-metal hydride? Nickel-cadmium? SLAs or VRLAs? Find out how long you can expect each battery type to last.
- A few tips on how to get the most out of your batteries.
Emergency Lighting Installation
To make installing emergency lighting just a bit easier, we’ve hunted up a few resources to help.
- A Few things you should consider before installing exit signs or emergency lighting.
- One of the best ways to learn about something is to see it done with your own eyes. That’s why the series from ExitSign 250 is a great place to learn about emergency lighting installation. Ran by a safety fanatic, this YouTube channel will also show you how to install other emergency equipment to get your facility ready for danger or future inspections.
For even more info on emergency lighting systems, check out our blog, or give us a call. One of our experts will be happy to help!